Interactive, hands-on visits for schools
Be immersed in our underwater world, and discover the learning opportunities at SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton’s.
Found out for yourself how much a trip to SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton’s has to offer your students. Travel back in time to the age of Antarctic exploration, get up close to the largest colony of sub-Antarctic penguins on display in the Southern Hemisphere, and discover the jaw-some world of sharks and rays in the worlds’ first aquarium tunnel. There is something amazing to discover at every turn!
All visits include all-day admission to SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton’s – there are 3 ways to explore:
- Self-directed visit – fancy taking your time and going at your own pace? Conduct a self-directed tour around our attraction. Take advantage of our free online resources and daily presentations to add even more to your visit.
- Classroom session – take an in-depth look into your chosen study topic with one of our marine biologists. This classroom session involves a lesson as well as the chance for students to handle marine artefacts and have a discussion with an expert!
- Semi-guided tours – take a stroll with one of our marine biologists to introduce you to a few of our residents! This tour takes you into our attraction and through the seahorse kingdom, fish gallery, shark and fish tunnel ending in turtle bay. Based on the educational theme of your choice these are a great way to engage your students in learning about the marine environment.
Be sure to book in early for the classroom sessions and semi-guided tours – these are no extra cost but spaces are limited!
Click on the School Information from the drop-down menu to learn more about our educational programmes.
What you can discover at Kelly Tarlton's
With displays ranging from marine to freshwater, sub-Antarctic to tropical – we certainly have a lot to offer! Some of the zones you will be able to discover and explore include:
- Antarctic Ice Adventure with the largest colony of penguins on display in the Southern Hemisphere, and a replica of the historic Scott’s Hut.
- Turtle Bay featuring the current residents of New Zealand’s one and only turtle hospital!
- Shipwreck Shores – an unforgettable play area where you really can find Nemo.
- Shark Alley and Shipwreck Discovery showcasing thousands of native marine animals.
- Fish Gallery hosts tropical, freshwater and temperate animals. The most diverse section of the aquarium with inhabitants all the way from Africa!
- Seahorse Kingdom full of weird and wonderful sea horses, as well as sea dragons that cannot be seen on display anywhere else in the world.
Merlin Teachers' Club
We have launched the Merlin Teachers' Club in 2018 to benefit our loyal teachers and their students. Be some of the first people to know what is happening in our attractions, special teacher offers, competitions and behind the scenes pictures and videos and all things teacher fabulous. Click on the tab below to join our club!
Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE is a proud member of Merlin Entertainments Education ANZ