Explore the Aquarium after Dark
SOME CREATURES ONLY COME OUT AT NIGHT...
Walk...Eat...Sleep with the Sharks!
Join us for a magical Underwater Sleepover where you and your students can exclusively experience SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium after the sun goes down all to yourselves! Your students will LOVE seeing their favourite marine animals in a whole new light after the sun goes down!
Your Underwater Sleepover hosts will give a fascinating guided talk and a dedicated Behind the Scenes Tour (Peak RRP $45 per adult, $34 per child) where the students will get the chance to feed our fish with a night-time snack. Everyone is then lead on a unique Tunnels by Torchlight Tour experience to see what the fish get up to after dark. Nicely tired after an evening stroll, pupils and teachers alike can lie back and watch the sharks and fish swim overhead as they nod off to a night of oceanic slumber. Based on a camping-style atmosphere present when the first Antarctic explorers were discovering Antarctica and racing to the South Pole, so sleeping bags and mats are a must! Overlooking beautiful views of the Auckland harbour and city, breakfast is served in the morning and every participant receives a special certificate.
Your amazing night at the Aquarium is an experience you and your students will remember for life! At just $60 per person, the Underwater Sleepover is Auckland's best value and the most fun overnight stay. For every 6 children, one adult supervisor is FREE!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Primary, intermediate and secondary school groups.
- Boy scouts, girl guides, and educational groups.
Note: Children must be between the ages of 5 - 17 years old inclusive.
The Underwater Sleepover takes place in the Shark and Fish tunnels at SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium. Children and adults all sleep in the same area on the floor. Mattresses are not supplied.
The minimum number of participants required for an Underwater Sleepover is 42 and that the maximum capacity is 70 (inclusive of children and adult supervisors). You may have fewer participants however the minimum charge will be for 42 people.
- Dinner: Not provided. Please ensure your students and staff are feed prior to arrival.
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Breakfast: included in the Underwater Sleepover experience and includes:
- Hot drinks i.e. tea, coffee, hot chocolate, sugar.
Special Dietary Requirements: we will endeavour to meet, where possible, any medical dietary requirements. Please confirm these requirements one week prior to arrival so that we can ensure that we can cater. Phone us on +64 (0) 9 531 5157 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss options.
Arrival time is 7.00 P.M. and finish time is 9:00 A.M. the following day. An example itinerary is outlined below.
- 7:00 P.M. - Arrival and hosted talk
- 7.30 P.M. - Explore Scotts Hut
- 8.00 P.M. - Supper
- 8.30 P.M. - Explorer the Shark Tunnel, Fish Gallery and Seahorse Kingdom
- 8.45 P.M. - Behind the Scenes tour and fish feeding
- 9.15 P.M. - Safety briefing and “Tunnels by Torchlight”
- 9.30 P.M. - Set up beds and lights out
- 7.00 A.M. - Wake up and pack gear
- 7:30 A.M. - Breakfast
- 8.00 A.M. - Penguin viewing
- 8:30 A.M. - Goodbye video of 'The Making of Kelly Tarlton’s Aquarium'
- 9:00 A.M. - Leave aquarium
- 9:30 A.M. - Aquarium open to the public
Click here for the Sleepover Itinerary
If you need to alter these times, you can discuss this when making your booking. Please phone us on +64 (0) 9 5315157 or email.
Unfortunately there are no showers available for the Underwater Sleepover, only toilet facilities.
Click here for the Sleepover gear requirements.
- Things to bring:
- Sleeping mat, sleeping bag and any other sleeping gear.
- Pyjamas – tracksuits are a good idea
- Appropriate clothing
- Torch with red cellophane covering the light
- Covered shoes
- Toiletries and medications – including a face cloth (Please note that while we do have toilets and hand basins for cleaning teeth etc., we do not provide showers).
- Refillable water bottle (can be refilled onsite)
- Group leader: list of all attendees and their emergency contacts
- Adults may wish to bring earplug and eye masks if they are light sleepers
- Things to leave at home:
- Camera with a flash on the night walk
- Laser lights and torches that may blind our fish
- Hacky sacs or throwing games.
- Alcohol (alcohol is not permitted on an Underwater Sleepover).
Yes, please bring your torch for the night walk. All torches must be covered in red cellophane.
No, all Underwater Sleepovers are strictly non-alcoholic. Alcohol and/or illegal drugs are not permitted on the premises by any member of the group. Or anything illegal or of dangerous nature which could cause damage to the SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium's buildings or other facilities, or affect the health and safety of any person or animal on the premises.
If you want a function, which includes alcohol and a guided talk, you will need to book a private function through the events department (email: email@example.com). Alternatively, fill out the Enquiry Form and we'll get back to you.