Plan Your Excursion
Schools Excursion Information
ABOUT OUR PROGRAM
Interactive, hands-on visits for schools
Combine active, hands-on learning with fascinating educational talks and an opportunity to have an up close and personal view into our amazing aquatic world for your ultimate school trip at SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton’s Aquarium!
Found out for yourself how much a trip to Kelly Tarlton’s has to offer your students. Travel back in time to the age of Antarctic exploration, get up close to the largest colony of sub-Antarctic penguins on display in the Southern Hemisphere, and discover the jaw-some world of sharks and rays in the worlds’ first aquarium tunnel. There is something amazing to discover at every turn!
All visits include all-day admission to Kelly Tarlton’s – there are 3 ways to explore:
- Self-directed visit: fancy taking your time and going at your own pace? Conduct a self-directed tour around our attraction. Take advantage of our free online resources and daily presentations to add even more to your visit.
- Classroom session: take an in-depth look into your chosen study topic with one of our marine biologists. This classroom session involves a lesson as well as the chance for students to handle marine artefacts and have a discussion with an expert!
- Semi-Guided tours: take a stroll with one of our marine biologists to introduce you to a few of our residents! This tour takes you into our attraction and through the seahorse kingdom, fish gallery, shark and fish tunnel ending in turtle bay. Based on the educational theme of your choice these are a great way to engage your students in learning about the marine environment.
Be sure to book in early for the classroom sessions and Semi-Guided tours – spaces are limited!
Scroll down to find out more about our educational programme themes, pricing, free teachers visits and more!
To find out more about the school programs SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's have on offer, use the quick links below.
The Aquarium is open from 9.30am to 5.00pm every day with last admissions STRICTLY 4.00pm
School buses are not permitted to enter the Kelly Tarlton's carpark in the daytime. Unless specifically told otherwise, your bus stop for dropoff and pickup is located between SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium and Mantell's Functions Venue, 19 Tamaki Drive. All Self-Directed visits must enter the aquarium through the main entrance. Classroom sessions and Semi-Guided tours should head to the EXIT building.
Payment is made on the day by cash, credit card or cheque only. Only one payment is accepted for the bookings (individual payments and memberships not valid for school bookings). Prepayment or invoicing payment methods are available but this must be arranged no later than one week in advance.
EXCURSION RATES 2019
Excursions can either be Self-Directed, a Semi-Guided tour (approx. 45 minutes), or our education staff can also provide a curriculum-based classroom lesson. All prices are per person.
$11.00 – Low decile schools
$12.50 – Pre-school (3 years+) to Year 13
$12.50 – Special School (1:1 Carers ratio)
$15.50 – Language Schools
$15.50 – Tertiary
Classroom Sessions and Semi-Guided Tours:
$15.00 – Pre-school (3 years+) to Year 13
$15.00 – Special School (1:1 Carers ratio)
$15.50 – Language Schools
$15.50 – Tertiary
$31.00 - Adult Supervisors (for additional adults and teachers helpers exceeding the free of charge ratio outlined below)
Adults (including teachers) supervising student groups are offered free admission on the following ratios:
- 1 free adult per 3 pre-school students (3- 5 year old students)
- 1 free adult per 6 students (Years 0 - 13)
- 1 free adult per 1 disabled student
- 1 free adult per 10 Tertiary school students
- 1 free adult per 10 Language school students
Complimentary Teacher Pre-Visits
Kelly Tarlton's offers all registered teachers a complimentary pre-visit to help you better plan your excursion. In order to receive your complimentary entry to the aquarium, please complete the enquiry form (link below) at least 4 business days in advance. You must bring a valid teachers registration and photo ID for entry.
School Bus Discounts
We've teamed up with Ritchie's Bus Company, and have negotiated the following prices for schools when visiting Kelly Tarlton's.