LEARN WITH SEA LIFE!
We have something fun and inspirational for all ages!
In addition to our amazing aquarium experience, we work closely with schools to develop information that engages and inspires young people. Self-Guided Tours and Workshops for schools are available and we give daily creature presentations.
From Shark Mission to the Art Aquarium, our multimedia experiences are designed to fire the minds of visitors who want to dive deeper into the world of the marine creatures they meet.
If you’re hungry for more, we offer Behind the Scenes Tours where our expert staff will fill you in on the daily diet of sharks, and the breeding habits of seahorses!
Throughout the year, we host a program of fun educational events, like Turtle Fest and Shark Week, to raise awareness of marine conservation issues.
What you can discover at Kelly Tarlton's
With displays ranging from marine to freshwater, sub-Antarctic to tropical – we certainly have a lot to offer! Some of the zones you will be able to discover and explore include:
- Antarctic Ice Adventure with the largest colony of penguins on display in the Southern Hemisphere, and a replica of the historic Scott’s Hut.
- Turtle Bay featuring the current residents of New Zealand’s one and only turtle hospital!
- Shipwreck Shores – an unforgettable play area where you really can find Nemo.
- Shark Alley and Shipwreck Discovery showcasing thousands of native marine animals.
- Fish Gallery hosts tropical, freshwater and temperate animals. The most diverse section of the aquarium with inhabitants all the way from Africa!
- Seahorse Kingdom full of weird and wonderful sea horses, as well as sea dragons that cannot be seen on display anywhere else in the world.
A Range of School Programs to Choose From!
There are three ways to explore SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's with your school group - Self-directed, Classroom Session or Semi-guided Tours. You can learn more about these options on the Plan Your Excursion page.
Our programs are also tailored to suit the needs of each stage of learning and development. Find out more about each of these below.
School Aquarium Sleepovers
Join us for a magical Underwater Sleepover where you and your students can exclusively experience SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium after the sun goes down all to yourselves. Your students will LOVE seeing their favourite marine animals in a whole new light after the sun goes down!
Ocean Youth Ambassador
Ocean Youth is a teens program for those keen to get involved in the many aspects of marine conservation and animal care. Not only will they gain this valuable experience, they'll also develop valuable skills and meet like-minded people. Young ocean-loving leaders will have the opportunity to create and collaborate on projects that will help our oceans survive and thrive into the future.
Work Experience & Volunteering
Anyone with a passion for the marine environment and a flair for customer service to join our team as a volunteer.