Our most popular adrenaline activity – Shark Cage - is a unique way to get face-to-face with amazing predators of the deep, with nothing but a cage between you and the sharks!
The cage is submerged in our predator tank - home to School, Sand Tiger, Wobbegong and Broadnose Sevengill sharks - so you're guaranteed to have a close encounter of the shark kind, every time. Through the cage's clear Perspex bottom you can marvel at sharks, stingrays and other fish from New Zealand's coastal waters swimming below, or past the mesh walls of the cage - often only feet away.
With no diving experience required, and all the instruction you need from our experienced guides, this is the easiest, safest and most exciting way to meet the often feared predators of the deep! The experience takes approximately 1 hour - 15 minutes of which are spent snorkeling with the sharks. Prior to taking the plunge you will get a behind-the-scenes peek at Kelly Tarlton's before being briefed for your encounter.
COST: FROM $76 per person online! (Walk-up price $95)
- Pricing is in NZ dollars and includes free admission to Kelly Tarlton's.
- Prices are valid at time of publishing and are subject to change without prior notice.
- All discount coupons can be used with direct bookings only. Vouchers are not accepted with online bookings.
- Price includes entry to the aquarium for the participant. Accompanying visitors are eligible to a 20% discount off their entrance fee. To obtain this discount visitors must be booked by phone at the same time or enter the aquarium with the participant. Not valid with any other discounts.
*IMPORTANT*: Click to read the T&Cs before booking
*IMPORTANT*: Click to read the Risk Declaration now
Refunds CANNOT be offered for guests who book but do not meet the criteria for participation detailed in the above documents.
NOTE: If you are pregnant you will not be allowed to participate in this Animal Adventure.
What to Bring
Bring togs and a towel and wear covered footwear. Everything else is provide - spring suit, booties, and mask & snorkel.
2 sessions Thursday - Tuesday at 1pm and 3pm. We recommend that you arrive 15 minutes before your Shark Adventure begins.
Bookings ARE ESSENTIAL for all encounters. Availability of Animal Adventures programs are limited and can be pre-booked online now or by telephoning reservations on +64 9 531 5065 or 0800 80 50 50 (free phone within New Zealand).
- If you are pregnant you will not be allowed to participate in this Shark Adventure.
- Minimum height restriction is 1.3 metres
- Maximum six people per session
- All persons aged 17 and under must have signed parental/ guardian consent (guardian must be 18 year or older)
- All persons aged 17 and under must be accompanied into the Shark Cage by an adult
- All persons aged 14 and under must be accompanied into the attraction by an adult
- Participants must follow instructions given by the guide
- All participants must complete and sign both the Kelly Tarlton's Animal Adventure Terms and Conditions which includes a Statement of Understanding and Assumption of Risk Agreement and the Medical Declaration. If applicable, a doctor's medical clearance must be displayed to the adventure guide.